Old May 5th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Mark Roberts[_2_] Mark Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default ABC Lays Off 1/3 of Staff

David Kaye had written:

| I could never understand why ABC had to have separate bureaus from their O&O
| stations.

I never understood why the networks had to have their own bureaus
and their own correspondents when their affiliate stations, in most
areas, had perfectly capable news departments. I guess the network
felt it got a better quality product that way. Somehow, on the
radio side of things, it could be somewhat different. I remember
contributing quite a few stories to the CBS network when I was a
reporter in KTRH in Houston. Those stringer checks were a nice
little bonus.

| I'm reading a story from a 1934 radio magazine when the networks began
| building their news staffs. Prior to that time, the networks didn't
| have much of a news presence. Newspapers hated the competition so much that
| they began de-listing the networks from their daily radio program listings.
| There was actualy a time when newspapers dropped radio coverage except for
| their own stations if they had them. My how times have changed.

Now newspapers don't cover radio at all.

--
Mark Roberts - E-Mail address is valid but I don't use Google Groups
If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.