Old May 8th 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Pondering a more effective HT Antenna?

Irv Finkleman wrote:
There are others on the group who can get into the technical side of
things -- I just thought I'd tell you what I'd use in the bush, or anywhere
else for that matter. Make up a twin lead J-pole -- its flexible and you can
hang it from almost anything. If you Google J-pole you'll find a hundred
different designs, but electrically they are all the same thing. The
twin-lead version can be hung anywhere from a string, and then
rolls up and fits in your pocket when you're done. If you want you
can hang it on a stick or twig tied to your backpack! A very
easy to make, versatile, and effective antenna! It's the only
one you'll ever really need!

Irv VE6BP

I tried that a long time ago and came to a different conclusion. What I
found in the remote areas was a lot of multipath reception. Sorry about
the technical term -- the consequence of multipath is that the signal
strength changes dramatically as you move. It's the cause of the "picket
fencing" familiar to mobile operators. Changing antenna position even a
few inches can take a signal from unreadable to nearly full quieting.
With an HT mounted whip, I move the HT around until I hit a hot spot,
and hold it there while communicating. When I hung an antenna from a
tree, it was a crap shoot (how's that for keeping it non-technical?)
whether it would end up at a hot spot or a lousy spot.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL