Old May 8th 10, 09:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Pondering a more effective HT Antenna?

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Irv Finkleman wrote:
There are others on the group who can get into the technical side of
things -- I just thought I'd tell you what I'd use in the bush, or
anywhere
else for that matter. Make up a twin lead J-pole -- its flexible and
you can
hang it from almost anything. If you Google J-pole you'll find a hundred
different designs, but electrically they are all the same thing. The
twin-lead version can be hung anywhere from a string, and then
rolls up and fits in your pocket when you're done. If you want you
can hang it on a stick or twig tied to your backpack! A very
easy to make, versatile, and effective antenna! It's the only
one you'll ever really need!

Irv VE6BP

I tried that a long time ago and came to a different conclusion. . .

Sorry, I missed the suggestion of hanging the J-pole from your backpack.
That would allow moving around for the best reception in the multipath
environment. My comments were in response to the suggestion of hanging
it from a string, which I found not to be a good idea.

Like most vertical radiators isolated from earth ground, a J-pole can
couple quite a bit of current to the feedline, making the feedline, rig,
and your body part of the antenna system. So you might find some
feedline lengths and orientations to work better than others.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL