Old November 26th 03, 06:03 PM
lbbs

Basically I looking for ways to improve my signal. I am satisfied with the
12 channel or so
that we are presently getting and I don't what to pay for more channel with
cable or dish.
All I want is to get a 15% improvement or so in my TV signal. I get a fair
TV signal now, but I have a couple of channel like 49 that my parents better
then us. I received a few suggestions like replace my coax with RG6 wire
and get an preamplifier at my old tower antenna. The antenna is 35 years
old at most (that is the age of our house), 15 years at best). Anything
else I can do to improve signal. I don't mind putting some money into it
since it is a long term investment. Thanks.

get better that we do.
"Yukio" wrote in message
question QTH ? What is your location !!
If your are more than 15 miles or less than 100 miles from your TV
transmitter a good antenna system is required, At these distances you must
point your antenna with an accuracy of +/- 5 degrees to get a good signal.
An Omnidirectional antenna works well up to about 10 miles but then so

would
a coathanger . I would have to assume that you are outside or beyond a

cable
TV, COGECO ? service area else why would you want to put up an expensive

$200 antenna to get one station when you can get a satellite setup for ~
$100.00. If you live in a Metropolitan Area., I can understand trying to
avoid cable fees. Your question about amplifiers fails to recognize
something called Signal to Noise Ratio a weak signal usually implies low
SNR, further amplification will bring in a stronger signal but also much
more NOISE or snow. A better antenna will improve SNR ie. a stronger

signal
with the same amout of noise, noise being background atmospheric static
which is always present in any signal. I would have to assume that you

must
be using a dial-up MODEM because this question doesn't make much sense if
you are using a Cable MODEM and already have access to a Cable Service

yukio

. They
could not explain it to me at the store.

Second question is about buying one of those omnidirectional TV antennas
that look like a flying saucer. I believe they have a built in
amplifier. If I bought one should I use it in combination with my old
indoor amplifier? Thanks a lot for your help.