Old May 11th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Computer model experiment

On 5/10/2010 9:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The computer program should know its limits. Anytine a program allows the
data entered to be too large or small for the calculations, it should be
flagged as being out of range. Also many computer programs will use
simplified formulars that can mast the true outcome. Usually it is not very
much, but as all errors start to add up the end results may be way off.

I often enter data that I know will be difficult for programs to use. If
the program gives an answer then I usually don't use that program expecting
a exect answer.
Back in the Windows 3.1 and 3.11 days the simple calculator would give wrong
answers to simple problems. I think if you entered 3.11 and subtracted 3.1
from it you got the wrong answer. That program was not corrected by
Microsoft.

I disagree. The program cannot "know" its limits if the problem it's
modeling is complex enough. So the user must understand the program and
especially the math related to what the program is modeling.

Blaming the program for giving you the "wrong" answer is like blaming
the tires for hitting the guard rail because you exceeded their limits.
Those limits are not the same under varying conditions and must be
filtered by experience and understanding.

tom
K0TAR