Old May 13th 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Chesterfield Island

On May 13, 7:37*am, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On May 12, 5:28 am, *wrote:
0529 12may2010 14070 KHz 34.4, -118.4

Elecraft K3 with GAP vertical dipole.

Automatically logged by fldigi.

6,318 miles

Sounds great! *Too easy maybe? but great nonetheless.

In amateur astronomy, we have two kinds of observers -

Those who use a PC "go-to" to find and locate every faint galaxy to
look at - and then sometimes they can see it and sometimes not,
because they do not train themselves to hunt and then locate and
observe; and

Those who do it the old fashioned way by using star charts and the
Mark I eyeball method - and then usually they see it. *It takes
longer, but we usually bag our quarry, and the reward tastes just a
bit sweeter...

I am not sure if this applies to what you're doing or not - but I
surely enjoy the hunt and identification.

Bruce

My PC monitors a 2 KHz window from 14070.5 KHz to 14072.5 KHz

The software decodes the messages, and looks for a repeated call sign
after the word "de". *If it catches a callsign, the software reports
this reception to the pskreporter map. *The sending station then gets
almost real time confirmation that they are "getting out".

Unless the stars talk back to you, it's completely different.- Hide quoted text -

Uh, no Dave, it is a near perfect analogy. It is still the reception
and confirmation of photons from a distant location, only the
technology is different (and even less so if one is doing
radioastronomy). You can nitpick this to death if you like, but most
people are going to spot the similarities almost right away.