Old May 17th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default WW2 Lancaster bomber radios, info wanted.

Engineer wrote:
introduction to the radio equipment.
My understanding was that WW2 British Lancs used the 1155/1154 gear
while most Canadian Lancs used the Bendix gear. However, in the
Hammond Radio Museum, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, http://www.hammondmuseumofradio.org/
there is a photo of a Canadian Air Force radio technician sitting at a
WW2 Lancaster radio table equipped with R1155/T1154 gear.
Does anyone know which Canadian Lancasters used the Bendix RA 10D
receiver/TA12 transmitter and which used the UK manufactured (EKCO,
Marconi, Plessey or EMI) R1155 receiver/T1154 transmitter?
I think all RAF Lancasters used the R1155/T1154 gear, see Duxford
radio society page http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/e...155-v1mod3.pdf.

I don't know about Canadian aircraft production. But I know that on the
US manufacturing lines they were churning aircraft out as quickly as possible,
all three shifts going. When a particular device was unavailable, there would
be quick re-engineering to put something else in. So a lot of the American
aircraft had some pretty dramatic changes over their production run and
accurate records weren't really kept. So a lot of it becomes a matter of
looking for the particular configuration for a particular aircraft.

And then after the war all that ARC-5 junk was selling for pennies on the
dollar.
--scott