Old May 21st 10, 09:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Gamma fed or folded dipoles?

VK2KC wrote:
I am going to build an array of 4 stacked dipoles for operation on 2 metres.
I would like to know whether the gamma fed dipole has any advantage over the
folded dipole, apart from the folded dipole being a tad more difficult to
make.

I have heard that the gamma fed dipole has a skewed radiation pattern in
comparison to the folded one.

Any thoughts and advice?
Many thanks
John
VK2KC

Richard Harrison has posted a number of times the comment that systems
using folded dipoles are much more robust with respect to lightning and
static discharges due to the low impedance path for DC and most of the
RF components they contain.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL