Old May 24th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Backyard antenna considered...

RHF wrote:
On May 22, 10:03 am, "John wrote:
I have a wood fence around my back yard. Across the back stretch is 79 feet.
The fence extends 76 feet from there along each side of my house which is 50
feet wide, leaving around 14 feet on each side of the house. The back of the
house to the fence is 37 feet . The eve of my two story house is, if I
remember right, about 23 feet above the ground. I want to erect a random
wire antenna of insulated 12 gauge wire from one corner of the fence in the
back, lead it up to the middle of the house to an insulator, then back down
to the other corner of the fence, where the feedpoint will connect at the
end. The back of my house faces due North. The antenna will be held about 8'
feet off the ground at the fence corners by schedule 40 PVC pipe. I want to
juse the feeline system as described by John Doty in this article:http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...eed/feed1.html
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 equivalent of the Sangean ATS-909. I was
thinking the two ground rods will be set in a hole 1 foot in diameter
filled with a Bentonite slurry. I was wondering if the random wire folded
into such an inverted V facing due North will have good reception qualities.
The previous residence I erected an inverted L random wire antenna and
received excellent results, but seemed very directional. I am hoping the
inverted V shape will help diversify the direction of reception somewhat at
this house. What do you all think?

John Smith,

Consider using the Par Electronics End-Fed
Shortwave Listener's (EF-SWL) Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...68cb105b4a370b
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...11c0ac4f084b87
.
Rig EF-SWL as an Inverted "L" Antenna starting
with a 15 Foot Vertical Up-Leg with a 30 Foot
Horizontal Out-Arm
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f41e85486b0ed9
.
SWL -Newbies- Installing an Inverted "L" Antenna : The Right-Way !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ca62e0c0e838ea
.
All-Band Sloping Inverted "L" Antenna -by- Rolf Brevig [LA1IC]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...0de363c21d19ba
.
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.

Center feed it at the apex with RG6. Good to go. Great antenna.