Old May 23rd 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Backyard antenna considered...

On May 22, 4:44*pm, "John Smith" wrote:
Thank you *for the links Mike. I won't be transmitting from the antenna,
just receiving for SWL. I am trying to get something that works wideband and
maybe the multiband dipole is the way to go. I will have to look at the
spreadsheet I have for the bands the DX-398 recieves on and see if I can
design one of those. I don't think the wife will say anything beyond an
intial question of "What the heck is that?" I do not have an HOA (Home
Owners Association) with the associated CCR's (Codes, Covenants &
Regulations). If I make it unobtrusive I don't think the neighbors will give
a hoot, either.

I have kept an annonymous email address due to SPAM scans of Newsgroups. I
can be reached at *dwmitchell61ATcharterDOTnet

Dave Mitchell

"amdx" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
I have a wood fence around my back yard. Across the back stretch is 79
feet. The fence extends 76 feet from there along each side of my house
which is 50 feet wide, leaving around 14 feet on each side of the house..
The back of the house to the fence is 37 feet . The eve of my two story
house is, if I remember right, about 23 feet above the ground. I want to
erect a random wire antenna of insulated 12 gauge wire from one corner of
the fence in the back, lead it up to the middle of the house to an
insulator, then back down to the other corner of the fence, where the
feedpoint will connect at the end. The back of my house faces due North..
The antenna will be held about 8' feet off the ground at the fence corners
by schedule 40 PVC pipe. I want to juse the feeline system as described by
John Doty in this article:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...eed/feed1.html
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 equivalent of the Sangean ATS-909. I was
thinking the two ground rods will be set in *a hole 1 foot in diameter
filled with a Bentonite slurry. I was wondering if the random wire folded
into such an inverted V facing due North will have good reception
qualities. The previous residence I erected an inverted L random wire
antenna and received excellent results, but seemed very directional. I am
hoping the inverted V shape will help diversify the direction of
reception somewhat at this house. What do you all think?

This might be fun for you.
http://www.k7mem.150m.com/Electronic...erted_vee.html
or
http://www.smeter.net/antennas/inverted-v.php

If you want to think more and work harder look at a multiband antenna.
http://www.qsl.net/ta1dx/amator/prac...le_antenna.htm
about 3/4 down the page.
* *Mike

One more time for John Smith,

So your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio Needs
an External Antenna for Better Reception . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a610e444b71ebd

-then- Consider the Portable Wire Antenna (PWA)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...4fd1bafbc1ccf5

"Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) that was created
and written about by Tom Sevart [N2UHC]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c232b1c5d205ea

Plug for a Portable SW Radio Antenna Jack
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...002d640926365a

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF