Old July 23rd 03, 04:57 AM
Jerry Oxendine

W7TI wrote in message
On 22 Jul 2003 23:20:36 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

It's not holding by four holes, but by being screwed by the jacket.
Screwing the connector body onto the coax jacket provides weather

proofing and
mechanical "connection" between the cable and connector. What you did is

expose the watersucking braid to rain and braid will eventually break off

at
the junction of braid.solder/braid (tiny hair wires). If you never use

the coax
outside and don't rock it, you might be OK.

snip

I agree, the "watersucking" braid needs to be waterproofed if used
outdoors.

But can you picture "horrible" impedance jump because of your action?

Cecil
will never forgive you!

snip

Good point. I will do a test on 144 MHz and see if there is a
measurable difference. The diameter of the connector is larger than the
diameter of the braid, but only for about 1/2 inch or so. At microwave
freqs that would be a no-no, but then who uses PL-259s for microwave?

I'll report back what I find.

--
73, Bill W7TI

I have NEVER soldered those damned holes. I remove the outer cover and
"pick" the braid all round. Then I remove the inner cover (center
conductor)and tin it. Then I fold the braid back over the remaining out
cover and then
screw on the adaptor (if any) onto the braid. Then I tighten the adaptor
onto
the body of the connector and tighten with pliers. Then I solder the center
wire
as usual. If there is any braid left I trim it off with a knife. This
compares with
the "old" way and does not cause any more absorption--one ought to moisture-
proof one's outside connectors anyway. Actually, in my experience,
soldering
those stupid holes causes trouble of its own. With the braid soldered, the
braid
suspends the feedline anyway, right? This means that the braid and the
center
pin are in the same "room", as it were. All it takes is one eensy weensy
wire of
that braid to get down into the center and short out the whole thing. By
folding
the braid back AWAY under the adaptor (or under the rear of the PL-259 body)
it isolates the assembly. Besides, it is easier to unsolder a connector and
use it
again. It does work. and I have been doing it for over 30 years.

73

Jerry
K4KWH