Old May 28th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Receiver for ham and cw

On May 28, 8:45*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 5/28/10 10:32 , notbob wrote:

I'm still studying for my ham license and still learning CW. *I
enjoyed the Grove website and am looking for a moderate priced
($100-200) receiver for tuning in CW signals. *I see many trick radios
in that price range. *Some with weather channels, which would be nice,
some with MW/LF besides SW. *Also, many claim SSB. *A question. *Does
shortwave pull in CW. *Seems to me it does. *I recall a old tube SW
radio I played around with as a kid. *Madly studying my band maps. *I
would like to pull in some CW signals to help learn.

* *CW is a mode of modulation. SW is a band of wavelengths or
frequencies. CW mode modulates a frequency. So if there is CW being
operated on SW, you can pull them in with a CW receiver.

* *There are many CW operators on Shortwave.

Also, I need a radio that's pretty sensitive. *I'm waaaay out in the
boonies, the CO Rockies at 8K ft. *No problem putting up some sorta
rudimentary outside antenna (dipole, etc). *Any help appreciated while
I'm still learning all this new stuff. *

* *Performance is a function, first, of antenna. It's the antenna
that receives the signal. The receiver simply separates the many
signals on your antenna, and makes them intelligible.

* *A good antenna on a less sensitive radio will often produce
better results than a lesser antenna on a more sensitive radio.

* *If you can put up a decent antenna, you can begin with a less
expensive radio.

* *A good choice, and excellent experience in construction, would be
* Ten-Tec 1254. It's in your price range.

http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=50

* *There are videos on the Ten-Tec website showing construction
tips, and operational guides.

* *It's pretty cool for a beginner's radio.

nb- Hide quoted text -

He also has the added benefit of being in the boonies, as he puts it,
so a really big antenna to pull in the weaker CW will probably not
result in a big increase in QRM. Such a sweet deal!