Old May 29th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] is offline

Default Receiver for ham and cw

notbob wrote:
I'm still studying for my ham license and still learning CW. I
enjoyed the Grove website and am looking for a moderate priced
($100-200) receiver for tuning in CW signals. I see many trick radios
in that price range. Some with weather channels, which would be nice,
some with MW/LF besides SW. Also, many claim SSB. A question. Does
shortwave pull in CW. Seems to me it does. I recall a old tube SW
radio I played around with as a kid. Madly studying my band maps. I
would like to pull in some CW signals to help learn.

As long as you are in a country that does restrict ownership of ham transmitters
to licensed hams, you would be better off IMHO getting a used transcevier.
I assume you are not in the US, because you ask as if you are required to
learn Morse code before getting a license.

If you want to learn Morse code buy a copy of "Code Quick" from Jerry
Wheeler. http://www.cq2k.com/

As for a radio, contact a local club and see if they will lend you one.

If you want to buy a used transceiver you can get a TenTec Trition, or early
Omni, Kenwood TS-520,820,T530,830,130,430 or a similar Icom or Yaseu.

Buy it locally and have them demo it. Do not depend upon an auction site
or mail order deal (except Universal radio) for it to work when it arrives.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.