Old May 29th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Receiver for ham and cw

Somebody Somewhere wrote:
On May 28, 11:32 am, wrote:
I'm still studying for my ham license and still learning CW. I
enjoyed the Grove website and am looking for a moderate priced
($100-200) receiver for tuning in CW signals. I see many trick radios
in that price range. Some with weather channels, which would be nice,
some with MW/LF besides SW. Also, many claim SSB. A question. Does
shortwave pull in CW. Seems to me it does. I recall a old tube SW
radio I played around with as a kid. Madly studying my band maps. I
would like to pull in some CW signals to help learn.

Also, I need a radio that's pretty sensitive. I'm waaaay out in the
boonies, the CO Rockies at 8K ft. No problem putting up some sorta
rudimentary outside antenna (dipole, etc). Any help appreciated while
I'm still learning all this new stuff.

nb

If you're a beginner, listening to longwave beacons might help you
learn CW.

Good point. There's also W1AW on 3.581 MHz. This is surrounded by
BPSK31, so you'll need a real CW filter to resolve it.