Old May 30th 10, 07:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Paul[_5_] Paul[_5_] is offline

Default FT-290R - LSB no output on any band?

On May 29, 8:39*pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article
,

*Paul wrote:
Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

Paul-

I'm not familiar with the 290R. *Sideband selection is often done by
switching between local oscillator crystals. *It may be a bad crystal, a
dirty switch, or possibly a problem with a diode switching circuit.

If the USB and LSB crystals happen to be plug-in, you could try swapping
them to see if the problem swaps or stays at the same switch position.

Fred
K4DII

Thanks for your reply Fred. I plan taking 'the old lady' apart tonight
and will work through some of your suggestions. Hopefully it won't be
too difficult to trace the fault.

Many thanks

Paul - g0vht