Old June 2nd 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default twinlead tuning indicators

Bruce in alaska wrote:

Up here in Alaska, we used to use the SAT Balanced Antenna Tuners to feed
300 Ohm Twin-lead Dipoles, cut for the Lowest Frequency Channel in the
Radio. then use a Bird WattMeter in the Coax Feeding the Tuner, while
doing the Setup. After things were setup for each channel and Band in
the Radio, we would tape a pair of NE2's, one on each side of the
Twin-lead at the closest Voltage Node to the Tuner. then the Operator
could watch the RF Output on the NE2's. worked fair... for the those
days...

Shucks, up there in Alaska, KL7BFB ("Barrel Full of Beer") ran a
(Alaska?) gallon of AM to a lazy H antenna. It had a fluorescent tube
taped to each of the four wire ends, which lit up nicely when he hit the
mike button. Ah, those were the days. . .

'Course I used to run out onto the runway at the Juneau airport to
retrieve ducks I'd shot. Bet you can't do that any more!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL