Old June 2nd 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default What to use for an underground transponder?

In article ,
Baron wrote:

Radio propagation through the earth is one of the most challenging
problems you could attempt to solve. You seem to be concentrating on
very low frequencies, fine if you can tolerate very very slow data
flows. I'm sure there are frequencies that will propagate through the
earth fairly easily, but getting to a point where a usable signal
occurs with reliable results isn't easy.

It might be worth checking out some of the work done by Bonnie Crystal
KQ6XA and her cohorts. They've been able to communicate from the
earth's surface, down into caves (and back up), using LF and HF radio
systems.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO