Old June 3rd 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Plate Resistance

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:43:37 -0700 (PDT), Keith Dysart
wrote:

On Jun 2, 9:52*am, Richard Clark wrote:
Start with Walt's:

2 Finals 6146B

In this condition the DC plate voltage is 800 v and plate current is 260 ma. DC input power is therefore 800·V·0.26·A = 208·W.

Yup. Measure 800V at 0.26A and the power is 208 W. No mention of
resistance. This is good.

From Walt's data indicating 100W and the schematic showing a 5 ohm
cathode resistor, one
might infer that each tube is dissipating (208-100-(5*.26))/2-53.35W.

Hi Keith,

Each tube is dissipating 53.35W? What a fire-eater! Each tube in an
RF application is rated for between 18W to 35 Watts maximum. However,
those maximum values are continous service, not tune up. Further, Ham
usage with long duty cycles would average the plate dissipation over
the long haul to well below 50+ W.

When I review the RCA specifications for a 6146B, published Feb 1964,
I find that both Walt's Plate voltage and Plate current exceed
absolute maximum ratings of (depending upon service) 750V at 250mA.
However, this would seem to be tolerably within generous meter
inaccuracy (if I were to peg it as low as 5%). Also, the 250mA meter
mark is an ad-hoc adjustment set at a condition of maximum power, not
by independantly confirming the actual current. That is of little
consequence to me and Walt's numbers arrived at straight from the
Kenwood service manual are suitable.

However, when we return to the "dissipation," through both RF and
Heat; then we are very close to the classic 50% efficiency of a
matched (by Conjugate Z basis) source.

The heat from the plates satisfy every physical interpretation of a
classic resistor, and an ordinary Ham transmitter exhibits what is
classically called source resistance.

*********

So far, all of Walt's data and extrapolations of R are right on. I
have seen similar reports through alternative methods seeking the same
determination that agree. However, I don't see how he then jumps the
tracks to hedge R not being real and being borne by the plate of the
tube.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC