Old June 3rd 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Icom 706mkIIG Problem

In article
,
Kevin W0KLH wrote:

A second or two in
keying up to ID my call, the radio shuts off.

Kevin-

I have the same problem with an IC-7000. I first thought there might be
RF getting into the rig causing the problem. I eventually found it is
actually caused by low supply voltage, as others have noted. With the
engine running, it usually works OK, but sometimes there is sufficient
voltage drop in the wiring that it turns off even then.

What I have done is to install an MFJ-4416 Super Battery Booster. It is
a DC-to-DC power inverter that produces a constant 13.8 Volts DC from a
varying input voltage. With that turned on, I've never had the rig turn
itself off. The booster is effectively out of the circuit when it is
turned off, so I leave it off until the problem occurs.

Fred
K4DII