Old June 3rd 10, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
UKMonitor UKMonitor is offline

Default What to use for an underground transponder?

On Jun 3, 12:53*am, "Clint Alexander" wrote:
For all involved in the thread -- here's a perfect example. Sondes are
locator systems used in many areas (I think) such as pipelines:http://www..rjmcompany.com/Pipe-cabl...0-SuperCAT.htm

These have frequencies of 512hz, 8Khz and 33Khz

I'm searching for any specs now regarding crystal and antenna for both
transmitter and receiver. But I'm certain that the antenna isn't 1000's of
meters long

If I'm reading this right -- I would want to build my own version of the
technology rather than purchase theirs'.

--

//Clint Alexander

"Clint Alexander" wrote in message

news

I want to make a simple transmitter to use as a locator beacon. But the
source would be in the ground (anywhere between 3 - 10ft). The receiver
would need to locate it, much like a metal detector would except it would
be a small hand-held "wand" with a LCD giving the direction and signal
strength.

I'm not sure of the signaling to use therefore I'm not sure of the antenna
required. But, it would need it to follow part 15 of the FCC
rules/regulations (none hazardous and allows required interference).

I am completely new at this sort of technology. I have created circuits
before using L555 timer, 4046Phase Loop, etc. But I've never went farther
than building simple demonstration circuits. I wondered if there was
anyone on this list that may be able to shed some light on what I would
need and/or how I would use them (a schematical description), or even
point me to the "yellow brick road".

Thanks!
--
//Clint Alexander- Hide quoted text -

I think we need to know a bit more about your application.

I have one of these pipe / cable locators, you need to have a good
idea of the route the pipework its taking and then 'sweep' the
approximate area with the end of the locator. If you don't have a
starting point it's very time consuming to cover a large area.

The avalanche beacon permits initial detection over a much wider area
which considerably speeds up a 'blind' search.

What size transmitter (physical) are you able to use, Max weight,
Battery duration, required detection radius, depth of burial etc.

UKM