Old June 6th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Keith Dysart[_2_] Keith Dysart[_2_] is offline

Default Question about "Another look at reflections" article.

On Jun 6, 10:09*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
On Jun 6, 7:54*am, Keith Dysart wrote:

Some of the posters to this group have basic misunderstandings of
the behaviour of transmission lines and using Poynting to address
these misunderstandings is like trying to use quantum mechanics
to address misunderstandings of Newton’s third law. And it will
be just as unsuccessful.

Translation: I object to anything, including technical references and
laws of physics, that shoots my argument down. :-)

A rather poor translation.

The basic misunderstanding is believing that a reflected wave
necessarily and always transports energy.

Please define "transport". An EM wave cannot exist without ExH energy.
If the energy associated with an EM reflected wave is equal to zero,
then the reflected wave cannot be measured and doesn't exist. But we
know that reflected waves do exist just by looking in a mirror -

You do seem to mention looking in the mirror quite frequently, as if
it
had something to do with understanding the behaviour of a
transmission
line.

causing the reflected photonic energy to be incident upon our retinas.
All of the transported energy in the reflected wave in a transmission
line is recovered during the transient state immediately following key
down. Tracking reflected energy from beginning to end result is not
difficult - optical physicists have been doing it for decades. But,
unlike your ideas, their results do not require the violation of the
laws of physics.

My main idea is basic electricity. If the voltage or current is
always 0, so is the power. This does not violate any physics of which
I am aware.

....Keith