Old June 7th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
lu6etj lu6etj is offline

Default Question about "Another look at reflections" article.

On 6 jun, 18:00, Keith Dysart wrote:
On Jun 6, 9:45*am, Cecil Moore wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:28*pm, Keith Dysart wrote:

There are indeed negative values. These occur when the energy is
flowing in the other direction, ...

Let's take a close look at the illusion that you are seeing and not
comprehending. Observe a snapshot of the instantaneous power envelope
of a traveling wave. It is a sinusoidal envelope with peak
instantaneous power levels and zero instantaneous power levels. When
it is traveling in the forward direction we consider that to be
positive power. When it is traveling in the reverse direction, we
consider that to be negative power. It is only a directional
*convention* not proof that negative power exists. The only waves that
can exist as waves on a transmission line are traveling waves.

Ahhh. I see part of your problem. You are thinking envelopes.

You need to change your point of view to be a particular point on the
line.
At this point, there is a function that describes the voltage: V(t).
It
may or may not be a sinusoid. There is a function for the current:
I(t).
And from these can trivialy be derived a function for power:
P(t)=V(t)I(t).

When I clip my instantaneous voltmeter across a line and measure 0 for
all time, I can confidently say that no energy is flowing, for there
is
not. I am curious as to what you would answer?

In "Optics", Hecht says instantaneous power is "of limited utility."
You seem to have discovered that limit, stepped over it, and stepped
in it. :-)

Well, Hecht may have his limitations when dealing with Optics, but
there
is no reason to expect these same limitations to apply to circuit
analysis.

...Keith

Hi folks, good night (from here).

I do not disagree with anything you have written, but I do think it
is much too early to introduce Poynting vectors and lossy conductors
to the discussion.

Hello Keith, Yes, I understand your comment, I introduced Poynting
vector only because both, energy and power, are scalars and we can not
talk about scalars having direction without get in conceptual
troubles; flux of power instead, have direction because surface vector
presence in its definition gives directive characteristics to power
crossing an imaginary surface.
Slanted flux of electromagnetic power (Poynting) due resistive
conductor simply seems to me a good example of a power flux in a TL
not totally coincident with axial direction to provide a little more
supporting to "directive" notion of Power Flux.
However IMHO power flux do not seems to me more complicated than
power, work, voltage, potential, energy, E and H fields, etc. All of
them -I believe- are not very simple stuff :(, but they are very
funny and interesting, indeed...!! :D. What do you think?
Please would you mind tell me why "sine wave" it is not a correct use
of "wave" word. The only dictionary I have = "Oxford advanced
english dictionary of current english defines wave as: "move to and
fro, up and down", I believe also in english there are word qualifiers
(sine, traveling, standing, etc) who specify the precise meaning of
them in diverse contexts. Am I wrong about this?.
Sorry by my insistence about convenience of discuss about "models".
Please let me bring a citation:
"At times, two quite differents models may serve equally well, but
eventually one is usually found to prevail, not because it is right,
but because it is both more convenient and more logically constructed.
After all, models are constructed for convenience in thinking and
recording, not as photographic images of nature"
(From "Electromagnetic Engineering", Ronold W.P. King (PhD), page 94.
McGraw Hill.1946).
I studied "Principle of Conjugates Impedance Matching" in my early
student days and the "mirror reflection" explained by Walter Maxwell
in his article agree with my undestanding about "where the reflected
waves go" because to balance magnitudes it is necessary that they
found a full mismatch on its way (path?) to generator. My own limited
analisis led me to the same notion even without conjugate match if I
calculate Incident and reflected voltages values in a half wave TL (as
my early thread example),
As I said, reading Cecil's web page quarter wave line examples led me
to considerate another possible representations of the problem, in
addition Owen's own ideas about it also made me consider the issue
from another point of view.

Thank you very nuch.

Miguel Ghezzi - LU6ETJ