Old June 7th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] is offline

Default BNC connectors 75 Ohm versus 50 Ohm?

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I also have a lot of RG-59 cables with 50 ohm BNC connectors. That's
probably more common, since 50 ohm connectors are much more common, and
the connector choice won't make any practical difference in the vast
majority of applications.

Well, we will see in a couple of weeks what I get. I broke down and bought
a set consisting of a BNC crimping tool, a wire stripper and 50 rg-59
BNC plugs from an eBay store.

They did not have any rg-6 plugs, so I'm hoping that the RG6-QS I've got
works.

It's the heavy duty kind that looks like a heavy duty side crimp tool, except
that the wire goes in the top and the plug is pushed together from the handle
end (bottom).

I'll report back.

Thanks for all the help and support so far.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.