Old June 7th 10, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default BNC connectors 75 Ohm versus 50 Ohm?

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

I like Thomas and Betts Snap-n-Seal connectors:

These are known generically as "compression connectors", and I
recommended the BNC type earlier, because when used with either a BNC-F
on the antenna, or a BNC/N adapter to an N-F they are waterproof, and
neither depends critically on the retaining nut torque for good
electrical connection (as do UHF, SMA and F connectors). Compression
connectors do not use a normal hex crimp tool, but a tool unique to
themselves, and in the rest of the world, the tools are pretty
inexpensive (US20).

Whilst I say they are waterproof, with force, it is possible to break the
front of the connector out of the connector body in the types that I have
tested.

If you use ordinary (ie non waterproof) crimp BNCs, you need to figure
some way to waterproof the cable jacket to the connector body. Most do
not lend themselves to glue lined heatshrink for this purpose. Of course,
you could always treat them like UHF series, and wrap the entire joint.

Owen