Old June 7th 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K1TTT K1TTT is offline

Default what happens to reflected energy ?

On Jun 7, 5:00*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
On Jun 6, 1:01*pm, K1TTT wrote:

as in the other thread, what is the mechanism of that 'interaction'
between waves? *i contend there can be no 'interaction' between
forward and reflected waves if the device is linear.

David, you are preaching to the choir. I explained before that there
is NO interaction between forward and reflected waves because they are
traveling in different directions. The only time that coherent,
collimated waves can interact is when they are traveling in the same
direction in a transmission line.

Keith's argument requires that forward waves and reflected waves
interact. I say they cannot interact in a constant Z0 environment. You
say they cannot interact. We are on the same side of this argument.

The mechanism of the interaction of two coherent, collimated waves
traveling in the same direction is that the superposition process is
irreversible. The source photons and the reflected photons are
indistinguishable.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

This is what YOU said:

What happens to the 50 joules/second of reflected energy depends upon
the phasing between the source wave and the reflected wave at the
source impedance. What most amateurs don't understand is there are
two mechanisms that can redistribute reflected energy back toward the
antenna. Those mechanisms are a re-reflection based on the physical
reflection coefficient (what RF engineers understand) and wave
interaction resulting in constructive/destructive interference (what
most RF engineers don't seem to understand) because, unlike optical
physicists, have not been forced to follow the energy flow.

There is no interaction between the waves, they may be superimposed,
and maybe their photons are indistinguishable, but there is no
'interaction'. interaction implies that one wave affects the other,
energy is transferred or fields are affected, such things occur in non-
linear media, but not in linear ones.