Old June 8th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Question about "Another look at reflections" article.

On Jun 6, 9:13*pm, lu6etj wrote:
I studied "Principle of Conjugates Impedance Matching" in my early
student days and the "mirror reflection" explained by Walter Maxwell
in his article agree with my undestanding about "where the reflected
waves go" because to balance magnitudes it is necessary that they
found a full mismatch on its way (path?) to generator. My own limited
analisis led me to the same notion even without conjugate match if I
calculate Incident and reflected voltages values in a half wave TL (as
my early thread example),
As I said, reading Cecil's web page quarter wave line examples led me
to considerate another possible representations of the problem, in
addition Owen's own ideas about it also made me consider the issue
from another point of view.

Miguel, you might be surprised to know that I got the constructive/
destructive interference concepts first from Walter Maxwell's,
"Reflections". Take a look at "Sec 4.3 Reflection Mechanics of Stub
Matching". Walt says:

"The destructive wave interference between these two complementary
waves at the stub point causes a complete cancellation of energy flow
in the direction toward the generator."

"Conversely, the constructive wave interference produces an energy
maximum in the direction toward the load, resulting from the sum of
the two reflected waves and the source wave."

Walt clearly understands that wave cancellation, interference, and
redistribution of reflected energy back toward the load is involved
with his "conjugate mirror" and virtual-short-circuit concepts.

So you see the concept of wave cancellation of complimentary reflected
waves at a Z0-match didn't come first from me. The concept of all of
that energy involved in wave cancellation changing direction and
joining the forward wave didn't come first from me. I only resorted to
the field of optics to gain additional technical information and
expanded on Walt's original "Reflections" concepts in my article.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com