Old December 19th 03, 02:37 AM
G.Beat

"Joshua G Senecal" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a Weller WTCPS soldering station with a 201U power supply and 201P
iron, using a 700 degree F tip. Last night I powered it up in preparation
for soldering some connectors, and a few minutes later I saw that the tip
and metal shaft of the iron were glowing red-hot.

Any ideas as to what is causing this, and will it be cheap to fix? Are
there any checks I can do to diagnose the problem? Or should I just dump
the thing and buy a new one? I bought the station over 11 years ago, in
practically new condition, at a yard sale for $5, so I got my money out
of it, but if a reliable fix is cheaper than purchasing a new soldering
setup I'd rather go that route.

Thanks!

-Josh, AE6IQ

Josh -

Let's deal with your problem and Facts.

The WTCP series base only provides 24 volts - that's it - its a transformer
in a base.
The "brains" of the temperature control is the tip working in concert with
the SW60 switch assembly
The WTCP series has a unique click as the SW60 switch engages and
disengages - turning the heater on and off to maintain
the specific temperature engraved on the base of the removal tip.

The Red-Glow tells you 2 things:

1. The heater (Weller EC234) is still working (but you are shortening its
life operating in this manner - cherry red)
2. The WTCP series temperature control (which works with the "PT" tip and
the SW60 switch) is not working properly.

Recommend: Change tips. Improper tips will cause this problem.
Get a Weller PTA7 (which is the standard tip shipped with this iron).
The barrel net (BA-60 may also require replacement.

If iron exhibits identical problem - then the SW60 requires replacement
(shorted closed).

All parts for this specific model (WTCPS) are available from Wessco (So.
California).
Wessco also just ended a 1/2 price sale on Weller "PT" series tip in
November ($ 2.25 each)

I also have the Weller Tech Sheet for this model -- if you need
a copy. This has part numbers, diagrams and troubleshooting advice (shipped
with every unit new)

Yes, I will consider repairing for you - but it would have to be after the
holidays.
Greg
Repairing the Weller WTCP series since 1975