Old June 11th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Question about "Another look at reflections" article.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:04:14 -0700 (PDT), lu6etj
wrote:

(SRI, I can not translate = "waiting for the Liberty launch back to
my ship", give me a hand PSE)

Hi Miguel,

I was in the Navy from 1968 to 1975. Our president Richard Nixon
resigned from the presidency in 1974. My ship was in transit between
Charleston, South Carolina to go to the naval ship yard for overhaul
in Bremerton, Washington (state), near Seattle (where I live).

On the way, we spent 5 days in the harbor of Acapulco. We were
"anchored out," which means resting at anchor in the bay instead of
tied up at a pier.

The only way to get back and forth was by a smaller boat (carries
about 75 people). That boat is called a launch. That name is
qualified with Liberty because those who used it were going on
Liberty. In the Navy, Liberty means "time off" or "free time," which
means we can leave work and do what we want to until 0800 the next
day. If we have to be back by midnight, it is called "Cinderella
Liberty."

I was one of the senior Metrologists in the Fleet Electronics
Calibration Laboratory aboard the USS Holland, AS-32 (now tied up in
retirement in Bremerton). I did precision measurement and calibration
of RF standards and maintained a Cesium Beam Standard (atomic clock)
that set the time for the "Boomers" (nuclear submarines). Later,
after the Navy, I added physical standards (length, pressure, tension,
temperature, torque, smoothness, incline...) to my resumé.

I try to catch as many movies from Argentina as possible (I like
Ricardo Darín as an actor, and love "Nueve Reinas"). One of my
degrees is Cinema (the other is English). Another title I like (since
it is about an out-of-work programmer) is "Una Sombra ya Pronto
Serás." Sometimes that title works here too. Héctor Olivera, the
director, has done some interesting things.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC