Old June 11th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
amdx amdx is offline

Default Car radio whip antenna question

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 12:55 pm, Twitchell wrote:
I've seen some car radio whip antennas that look like they have a wire
wrapped
around them. The wraps are not close but lazily spiral down the length of
the
antenna.

Does this help reception? Is the coil attached somehow to the car or just
the
antenna itself?

twitch

My antenna on my minivan is like that.

I think the supporting whip is fiberglas/or some insulating material,
and the wire is the actual electrical element; and in the interest of
saving length and providing strength, they wrap the wire around the
slightly shorter antenna pole. The wire is then connected to the lead
of the antenna. It works fine, about as good as a metal whip of
similar length. Antennas for cars are pretty uncomplicated
critters... :-)

Car antennas my be simple critters, but the coax used is special.
Mike