Old June 12th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default "Non-dissipative Source Resistance"

walt wrote in
:

What you have said above is the key to the concern over the output
resistance of a Clsss C amplifier being non-dissipative. What seems to
be universally misunderstood is that there are really two separate
resistances in the operation of these amps; one, the cathode-to-plate
resistance, which is the dissipative resistance Rpd that accounts for
all the heat, due to the electrons striking the plate; and two, the

It is my understanding that the average power (heat) generated at the anode
of a triode can be found by averaging the product of the instantaneous
anode current and anode-cathode voltage over time. In a Class C amplifier,
the voltage and current are not linearly related to each other, ie there is
no constant of proportionality, no constant or fixed resistance.

I don't understand why then, that people try to explain the anode
dissipation in terms of some value of resistance.

Owen