Old June 13th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default "Non-dissipative Source Resistance"

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:03:40 -0700 (PDT), Keith Dysart
wrote:

'Unusual'? Certainly not unexpected once one thinks about it.

Hi Keith,

The "unusual" was lost in the ellipsis that I will reveal:
"... The highest efficiency operating point does not exactly coincide
with the lowest plate current because the power output continues to
rise for a while on the inductive side of resonance coming out of the
dip in the plate current. ..."

Continuing, Mendenhall presents the problems of trade-offs between
what would seem to be maximum power for worsening characteristics in
performance - the goal is what he calls minimizing synchronous AM
versus Efficiency.

Synchronous AM is a problem that can be introduced by measurement
equipment, as Mendenhall relates: "The input impedance of the
envelope detector must provide a nearly perfect match ... 30dB return
loss ... to the sampling line."

This sidebar relates to what Owen characterized as "Usability" where I
have recited the objective technical specification to reduce the
subjectivity of the term.

There's more that could be said, but I am waiting to see if Richard is
willing to subscribe to his own reference's writings. If not, and
Mendenhall doesn't mince words on the topic, then as Perry Mason would
observe "The D.A. is impeaching his own witness!"

I've always loved Perry Mason.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC