Old June 14th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Krypsis[_2_] Krypsis[_2_] is offline

Default Why Solder the Ends of Stranded Antenna Wire ?

On 14/06/2010 5:42 AM, wrote:
Article I read in a motorbike magazine back in the 1970s.Somebody said
in that article to not solder the wires.He said that makes them brittle
and vibration can make them fail.I believe in soldering them, meself.
cuhulin

I was told that the secret, in the automotive world at least, to not
allow the solder to flow back along the wire from where it is needed,
ie. under the insulation. The wire should remain flexible immediately
behind the connector and any solder flow would prevent this flexibility.

I have always preferred soldered joints so I'm with you on this one!

Krypsis