Old June 18th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Where does it go? (mismatched power)

On Jun 18, 5:55*am, K1TTT wrote:
1. The re-reflection of the SINGLE reflected wave from the load at an
impedance discontinuity associated with the power reflection

its really the voltage and current reflection coefficient.

It's really an electromagnetic wave obeying all the laws of physics
for an electromagnetic wave INCLUDING ENERGY CONTENT. ExH is the power
density of the wave and the voltage coefficient squared is the power
reflection coefficient. All of the power/energy math used on a Z0-
match gives identical answers as using the voltages PLUS it answers
the original question asked by the first poster to this thread about
what happens to reflected energy. The answer is that reflected energy,
like any other energy, is conserved traveling at the speed of light in
the medium, until it is dissipated or radiated.

Try measuring the voltage and current content of a laser beam and you
will realize why optical physicists are decades ahead of RF engineers
in understanding where EM wave energy goes.

This [superposition] is the second mechanism (wave cancellation) that redistributes

but that is NOT a "second' mechanism. *it IS superposition, which is
what you agreed to earlier, maybe in a different thread.

In my statement above "This" refers to "superposition" which is the
second mechanism after reflection, the first mechanism. ***I REPEAT!
(1) REFLECTION IS NOT THE SAME AS (2) SUPERPOSITION!!!*** You are now
just engaging in obfuscation of what I have said. I expect such shabby
behavior from others on this newsgroup, but not from you.

Wave cancellation is just a special case of superposition, i.e. wave
cancellation is superposition.

(2nd mechanism) Superposition == Interference == Wave Cancellation,
which is ***NOT*** the same as
(1st mechanism) Reflection. I cannot say it any plainer than that.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com