Old June 20th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ed Engelken Ed Engelken is offline

Default NC-57 deafness problem

On Jun 7, 6:50*pm, petev wrote:
I've been hitting a wall with this restoration. I recapped and
completed a full alignment, and while it performs beautifully from
broadcast band to 12 mhz (bands C, D and E ), it is quite deaf on
bands A and B (basically 12-mhz up). I didn't realize it during
alignment because I had been feeding a robust RF generator signal and
it was aligning quite nicely on those upper bands.

The local oscillator operates on the low side of the signal frequency
on bands A and B and on the high side for the other bands. Aligning
with the LO on the wrong side of the signal frequency will kill the
sensitivity. You may want to check this out.