Old June 25th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default what happens to reflected energy ?

On Jun 25, 2:13*am, lu6etj wrote:
In a TL, instead, total destructive interference in one point would
mean energy stop flowing from that point forwards (is it OK say
"forwards"?) and reverse its flow direction doubling his value, is it
OK?.

In our ham transmission line systems, the goal is to accomplish total
destructive interference toward the source, i.e. zero reflected energy
incident upon the source. So let's talk about destructive interference
toward the source and constructive interference toward the load.

You name it "redistribution" too, not reflection.

By definition, reflection is something that happens to a single wave.
By definition, superposition involves two or more waves. The
redistribution that I am talking about can include both reflection and
superposition if both are present. Depending upon the system
configuration, both may be present, both may be absent, or one exist
without the other.

Well, my
question was how we can set (devise) an experiment to get such
behaviour in a TL?

I've presented it before and it is a simple Z0-match involving a 1/4WL
matching section.

50w-----50 ohm------+------1/4WL 300 ohm------1800 ohm load

On the source side, rho at '+' is 0.7143

Using a TDR, we can verify that there is indeed a reflection from the
50/300 ohm impedance discontinuity. What happens to that reflection
during steady-state?

What happens to Vfor1(rho) = 50v(0.7143) = 35.7v?

What happens to Pfor1(rho^2) = 50w(0.51) = 25.5w?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com