Old July 3rd 10, 01:22 AM posted to ba.broadcast,rec.radio.broadcasting
[email protected] rtnda@aol.com is offline

Default ABC Lays Off 1/3 of Staff

On May 3, 6:52*pm, Mark Howell wrote:
On Mon, 3 May 2010 17:11:04 EDT, (David Kaye)
wrote:

I'm reading a story from a 1934 radio magazine when the networks began
building their news staffs. *Prior to that time, the networks didn't
have much of a news presence. *Newspapers hated the competition so much that
they began de-listing the networks from their daily radio program listings. *
There was actualy a time when newspapers dropped radio coverage except for
their own stations if they had them. *My how times have changed.

As recently as 1980, the news staff at KMJ, Fresno was forbidden from
reporting any local news that had not already appeared in the co-owned
Fresno Bee. *By a year or two later, some stiff competition had put an
end to that. *McClatchy Newspapers later sold off its broadcast
holdings.

Mark Howell

If KMJ had any such policy in the '80's it had changed from the
'60's. From 1961 to 1966 the KMJ-Bee cooperation was total. I did
McMahon's 5:15PM local cast during that time and the final thing I
would do when I had it written was to go up to the 4th floor and take
the latest dupes of tomorrow's copy, which I would either re-write,
read or ad lib from. So listeners got tomorrow's Bee today from me.
TV had the same privileges and I assume they did the same thing for
their six o'clock news.

How're things there in Bakersfield?

Gil Haar