Old July 3rd 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell[_2_] John Ferrell[_2_] is offline

Default language and antenna gain

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:27:56 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Richard Fry wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:18 pm, Roy Lewallen wrote:
Guess I just don't understand how a resonant, helically-wound antenna is
"electrically short". Suppose you helically wound an eighth-wave
vertical in such a way that it was resonant. Its physical length is an
eighth wavelength. What would its "electrical length" be?

{SNIP}
Depends. If the ground system is very good and you're willing to keep to
a narrow bandwidth without retuning, you wouldn't be able to tell any
practical difference between the two. For good experimental evidence see
"The W2FMI Ground-Mounted Short Vertical" by Jerry Sevick, W2FMI in
March 1973 QST.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Somewhere back in time the word "aperature" was used to describe
antennas, especially stacked arrays. I think one of the prominate
authors that used the expression was Bill Orr.

Would that be relevant to this discussion? I have not heard the term
used in years.

John, W8CCW
Perpetual Student of many subjects.