Old July 3rd 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob[_27_] Bob[_27_] is offline

Default Antenna Question Re HF Handhelds

Hi,

I tried a shortwave radio group first, but no answers.
Should have posted here, first.

Enjoy sw listening, but frankly not all that sharp re antennas.

Over the past few months, I have seen several ads for those handheld sw
receivers and transceivers. From different mfgs.
About the size of the typical hand-held scanner receiver.

They all seem to cover up to at least 30 MHz, and most beyond.

Got to thinking about this a bit.
What do they use for an antenna for 30 MHz and below ?

I have a long end fed antenna for my listening.
Obviously they have a short "something" antenna.

How effective is a short "something" around 5 to 10 MHz, e.g. ?

How can it work down there at all ?

I can visualize s tuned ferrite loop, such as the very old fashioned AM
table radios used to have, but wouldn't this only be effective over a
very small range ?

Or, do they expect you to hook up something "decent" to it, even though
it is supposed to be portable, and is very small ?

Any technical explanation on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob