Old July 23rd 03, 06:36 AM
Dave Platt

And whats so wrong about installing the connector the way it was designed?

I've put on hundreds, and have never had trouble soldering the braid unto a
quality connector.

Whats the problem I'm missing here..?
73 de Mike, WB9B

I suspect it might be the word "quality", or the absence thereof.

The high-quality silver-plated PL-259s seem to solder easily enough as
long as you have a high-enough-wattage iron or gun. A small
fixed-wattage, non-temperature-controlled soldering pen probably won't
do the job.

The cheap nickel-plated ones can be a real hassle - the solder doesn't
wet the nickel at all readily, and one can easily end up with a "cold"
solder joint.

I've read recommendations that if you're going to solder a
nickel-plated PL-259, you should take a file and rough off the nickel
in the area around and in the holes, and on the adapter inside (if
present). The brass under the nickel will take the solder somewhat
more readily.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO