Old December 24th 03, 12:02 AM
Kieren

Gregg wrote in news:ZF1Gb.21839$6b2.4981@edtnps84:

Cheap scanner from your local Buy & Sell paper?

BUY something?? Sort of misses the point of posting to
rec.radio.ameteur.HOMEBREW, doesn't it? Anyway, none of us have any money!
;-)

For my money, I would probably follow a design of a crystal controlled RX
(one channel with probably the same drift as the TX you want to hear!).
There are several designs for this, but consider a few small things first:

1. How local is local? Is the repeater within ~10km - and is there
another powerful signal on a close frequency)? If there is a powerful
local signal, you might have to select your design to be more selective.

2. What aerial can you have? Again, if the repeater is strong and the
other close signals are weak, you can use a very simple radio and still get
good results.

3. How much radio building and fault-finding experience you have.