Old July 4th 10, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] is offline

Default coax short supply

Ian Jackson wrote:
You do, of course, need the appropriate tool.

They are relatively cheap. I've seen a set of tool, cutter and stripper
(3 tools) and 20 F connectors for as little as $12 on eBay. Here, a month
ago I paid $60 for such a set without connectors, today when I went to
the same store, the tool alone was $30. Last month they did not have the
tool alone.

The bad news is that they raised the price on the connectors from $.90 each
to $1.25 each, but dropped them to $.77 if you bought 100. They had 2 packages
of 50 and to convince me not clean them out, they gave me the 100 price
for 50.

and NOT crimp on connectors, which are squeezed from side to side and often
fall off.

'Proper' crimp connectors, properly crimped, with the 'proper' tool, are
also hard to pull off - at least, mine are!

From my experience, the tools are more expensive, and the skill level required
is much higher to get the done properly. Most of the crimp on ones are not
water resistant, while most of the compression ones are.

Geoff.
I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.