Old July 6th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK[_6_] BDK[_6_] is offline

Default Antenna Question For Handhelds

In article ,
says...
On 7/6/10 10:05 , Mark S. Holden wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

As I said, the antenna is usually too short. Sensitivity is actually
quite good, though. Comparable to a decent desktop. But antenna
capture area is insufficient. So, SW performance out of the box is
pretty lame. My R-10 was worthless on SW until I began using a larger
antenna.

That said, all but the Yupiteru are too wide for SW. Sometimes as much
as 12Khz on AM. SSB, though the IF bandwidth is usually acceptable.

For highly portable SW, I'll slip my HF-150 into my camera bag, with a
whip, and tote it out into the woods.

Back when I bought it, the Yupiteru MVT7100 was reputed to be the best
portable wideband for SW, but while it has narrower filters, the shape
factor isn't so great. You can still end up listening to 2 stations at
once.

Really. That's disappointing.

I had a Yupi 9000, and while it was ok filter wise, not great, it's main
problems were CPU hash, and it overloaded with anything more than a 20
foot wire on it.

That's why I ended up installing my 7030+ in a cabinet with a couple of
NIMH battery packs and a rapid charger for "portable" use. With the
Racal crystal filters I installed, that radio is incredibly nice for
camping trips, but it fills most of a briefcase.

I've never thought about taking my 7030+ into the woods. But the
HF-150 is a good performer there.

I took the Icom 735 I had up to a friend's cabin in the winter once,
running it on a big battery on a huge longwire and an attenuator I made
to control the input level, and it was great. It was so quiet..'

That is, when I'm not dragging the SW-8 with me.

I fished a large foam padded case out of the dumpster at work and
replaced the foam with new foam that I cut to fit the 735, a speaker,
the power cord, a very lightweight longwire, and the attenuator. It
wasn't too bad to lug around. Probably 20 pounds.

--
BDK, non-jew leader of the non-existant paid jew shills!