Old July 9th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default V antenna paterns

"Jim Lux" wrote in message
..

That's likely because the effective height of the antenna is low. A low
antenna on 80m means cloud/worm warmer. (and low, in this context, means
20m, which is still way up in the sky).

So the traditional single support inverted V has all sorts of advantages:
only one support needed
puts the important part of the antenna (the middle) up high

For many it is difficult to get an antenna up more than 60 feet. That is
close to 1/4 wavelength or less. My back yard has trees on each side and
it was easy to string a dipole close to 60 feet on the ends,but no way to
support the antenna in the middle. That was why the question of should I
string the dipole as tight as possiable with out breaking or adjust the drop
in the middle to some optimum distance for what I want to do. I sort of
thought the mort horizontal it is the beter the signal would be at a
distance, but there may be an optimal angle to have a 200 to 300 mile
antenna.