Old July 15th 10, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J.B. Wood J.B. Wood is offline

Default The meaning of 'Radiation Resistance'

On 07/15/2010 04:14 AM, Owen Duffy wrote:
I note some variation in the use of the term 'Radiation Resistance' (Rr)
that suggests that it has different meanings to different folk.

snip
Hello, and I don't find any ambiguities in any of my various EM and
antenna theory textbooks. FWIW, from the IEEE Standard Dictionary of
Electrical and Electronics Terms:

"Radiation resistance (antenna). The radio of the power radiated by an
antenna to the square of the rms antenna current referred to a specified
point. Note: This term is of limited utility in lossy media."

So if we're looking at free (in vacuo) space the radiation resistance is
simply a "load" resistance component that accounts for where the
radiated power goes. The radiation resistance doesn't include any other
resistive losses in the antenna structure/proximity operating
environment that may also be dissipating source power introduced at the
feedpoint of the antenna. An aerodynamic analogy would be the
distinction between "induced" drag (the price paid for "lift") and
"parasite" drag, which are both components of the total drag.
Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

--
John Wood (Code 5520) e-mail:

Naval Research Laboratory