Old July 17th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Slim Jim v J Pole

In article ,
Owen Duffy wrote:

In fact, the antenna structure lends itself to an effective integral
balun. If you take the feed coax through the bottom wall of the U
section, bonding the shield to the tube, and up one side (doesn't
matter), exiting at the appropriate point. At this exit, trim the shield
and bond it to the tube, and take the inner horizontally across to the
other tube and connect it.

.... and take *real* care to waterproof the point at which the cable
exits from the tube and the shield is bonded! Buy a tube of
non-acid-containing (metal-safe, "neutral cure") silicone sealant, and
apply it very thoroughly here... squeeze and press plenty of it into
the braid and then form a layer which completely seals the exit point.

If you don't do this, and leave even a small amount of braid exposed
to the air, it will tend to "wick up" moisture into the braid every
time it rains.. The water can even wick its way down to the bottom of
the cable and you can find water dripping out of (or filling up) the
connector at the bottom! Trust me, it really does happen... I found
my lower N connector full of water, and what I swear appeared to be
algae!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO