Old July 18th 10, 08:12 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default how to cut whip of 2 meter antenna ?

"James" wrote in message
net...
I need to "trim" the steel whip of a two meter antenna, and have not been
sucessful in finding an easy way to cut. Tried a vise-grip with its
close-in pinchers, and also tried a heavy duty pair of wire cutters, but
no
go.

What common tool can be used to do this ? This steel whip sure is tough
!!

I usually use the side of a grinder wheel to cut it off. If I do not have
one handy, then I use a triangle shaped file. I often cut it part of the
way and then snap it off with the pliers. It usually takes bolt cutters to
cut the antenna and then the cut off piece goes out like a bullet.