Old July 25th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default Poor ART-13 performance on 80 meters

Testing, my ART-13, I can obtain a good match on 7 MHz, 10 MHz and 14 MHz, with
the antenna switch (control C) on position 11 or 12.

But when I try to operate on 3.5 MHz, I am unable to obtain a good match at any
antenna switch position. I can get roughly half the RF power with a higher plate
current, this indicating that match is poor. Grid current is OK.

At switch position 8 and above the matching network is a Pi; at position 7 and
below it becomes a simple L.

I know that the transmitter was designed to match short (capacitive) antennas,
and it may then not like the 50-ohm resistance of my 80-meter dipole. But before
carrying out further investigations, I would like to hear if somebody had
experience in operating the ART-13 on 80 meters.

Thanks & 73

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

P.S. I do not succeed to get enough grid current at 18.070 MHz that is at the
very extreme of the transmitter operating band