Old November 27th 03, 10:19 PM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:23:59 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
.. .

I shot this from my neighbor's back yard on the 13th of this month
(Nov 2003)
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower30.htm

I had to get a building permit for a tower this size and it had to
conform to the proper engineering standards. (the guy anchors weigh
17,000# each. The lower guys are 4,000# working strength and the top
set are over 6,000).

Exactly how tall is this big one? I'm green with envy.

Thanks! :-))

Twas all put up by hand too:-)) Which is why it took me nigh onto
two years to finish. Well, it'll never be finished as long as it's
up, but ...

The Tower is a 97 foot ROHN 45G. The antennas are mounted on steel
tubing which runs through thrust bearings at the top and about 12
feet below the top of the tower to a BogBoy Rotor.

The TH-5 tri-bander is at 100 feet, the 7 element C3i 6-meter beam
(with 28'10" boom) is at 115 feet. The 144 and 440 vertically
polarized arrays are on a cross boom at 130 feet.

If you change that link to tower.htm
( http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower.htm ) it should link
to the whole story or just go to my home page, table of contents, and
click on "My Tower Project". There are also some shots of the
"office" end as well.

There is one photo of installing the TH-5 that will give a good idea
as to the scale of the antennas. Note a lot of that antenna work was
done in the winter with some pretty low wind chills.

"Doing it myself" was an educational and fun project, plus it saved a
whale of a lot of money. I have some fears if the county puts a jail
within 300 yards we won't be able to coexist and that'd mean moving.
I'd pretty much have to resort to having a professional crew come in,
take the tower down and then reinstall it where ever we moved which
would cost a small fortune which I'm not sure I could afford.

This is a nice quiet, rural subdivision with lots of Deer, Wild
Turkeys, and other critters that come right up in the yard.

BTW, IF you have a fast connection there is a panoramic view from the
top of the tower at
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/towerview.htm It's a huge
file of roughly 19 Megs so it'd be a lost cause with dial-up. It's
not a great image as the images didn't match perfectly and created
some artifacts where they are stitched together. (I was standing on
the tower top plate with the wind gusting 20 MPH or so when I shot the
photos hand held) I'm going to build a bracket and attach the camera
to the mast. Then shoot an image about every 15 degrees as the
antennas are turned. Unfortunately the landscape is now much less
colorful.

73

Roger (K8RI)

You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers, not spam
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE