Old August 3rd 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Design Flaw in iPhone 4, Testers Say

On 7/13/2010 3:30 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:05:54 -0800, Bruce in
wrote:

Issue One. Apple has already admitted that the Signal Level algorithm,
used in the IPhone4 was seriously flawed in how it displayed Signal
Level. (Bars) When the Phone displayed 4 or 5 Bars, it may actually only
be receiving at a 1-2 Bar Level. This they have corrected with a
Software Patch.

Hi Bruce,

Jim's second link (which I quoted in my response to him) gives very
specific signal levels. Aside from that, and as is obvious by the
numbers, the "bars" are merely window (with apologies to M$) dressing
in any phone (except as a RF exposure risk indicator).

Issue Two. The Multi-Band Antenna design in the iPhone4 is a Kludge
Compromise at best, and burying it in the Metal Frame where Left Hand
users put the flesh against it, seriously detunes it. Apple is in the
process of hiring a small group of Engineers, with expertise in this
area.

A bumper would seem to mitigate the risk. Conformal coating would to
some lesser extent. All-in-all, the amount of metal seems to be
consistent with best engineering practices (but, perhaps, not best
consumer packaging practices).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

When is everyone going to wake up. What we need is a USB dongle which
is simply a recvr/xmitter and is software driven. This is the last
"cell phone" you will ever need to purchase. It can incorporate an
onboard antenna, however should also have an external ant connection so
in fringe areas communication is improved.

Isn't it about time we stopped buy a seperate TV, radio, phone, stereo,
etc. A computer with the proper software and attachment(s) are all of
these and more.

It is time to end the stone age of electronics!

Regards,
JS