Old August 7th 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default what length for 1/2 or 5/8s UHF NMO whip

On Aug 7, 12:40*pm, Robert Keeler Robert.Keeler.
wrote:
I want to use an NMO whip for 460 UHF band. I know a 1/4 wave would be
about 5.8 inches. can I cut it to be a 1/2 wave or 5/8s wave? if so what
would the correct length be? this is a straight whip, no coil or spring.
Thanks!

--
Robert Keeler

Neither will work properly without matching. Without using a matching
device, you are limited to 1/4 wave, or 3/4 wave. And 3/4 wave is not
desirable as you start seeing higher angle lobes past .64 wave in
length. "5/8 wave"
If you have an NMO mount, and want to use a 5/8 wave, you need
one of the NMO mount 5/8 whips with the loading coil at the base.
A 1/2 wave will be high z, and require a matching device.
Without the proper matching, you are best off running the 1/4
wave whip.